Is AeroGrow committed to sustainability?
As a company, AeroGrow has always valued sustainable practices. We began in what is arguably one of the greenest cities in America - Boulder, Colorado - and have chosen to stay here as we grow because, for example, we have the opportunity as a business electricity user to contribute to the City of Boulder’s climate protection programs.
In 2006 we needed to relocate in order to expand. In that process, we selected a building in Boulder which –
- Provides energy efficient measures such as motion sensors on all light switches and solar-gain reducing blinds
- Is located on a bus line
- Provides secure, sheltered bike storage, shower, and locker facilities
- Equip workstations with Energy Star-compliant monitors and use "sleep" power-management modes to reduce power consumed by our computers.
- Recycle all AeroGardens used in research and development.
- Provide containers for paper waste recycling, container recycling and composting (30-50 gals/wk).
- Compost all plant waste from the nursery and lab
Our commitment to sustainability also includes employee wellness:
- We encourage employees to bring their lunches by providing a large, comfortable lunch room, with multiple refrigerators, microwaves and other kitchen appliances.
- We moved away from plastic and paperware and instead provide washable silverware, plates, and cups.
- We provide filtered water as well as coffee and tea.